‘Our school had a very successful visit from Kate Mallinder as part of our Book Week celebrations. Kate enthused the children with her talk of being a writer. She shared the joys – and challenges – of being an author and inspired them to create their own stories. I would recommend Kate as her love of books and writing was so refreshing.’
J. Muckle, Co-Deputy, St Edward’s Primary School, Donnington
My school visits are aimed at children in Key Stage 2 but can be adapted to suit Years 7 and 8. Examples of the topics covered are:
- Show don’t tell. Don’t say he was angry, show his eyes popping and a vein twitching! Works well as an interactive drama-led session.
- How to write characters – using visual prompts to pick up key physical attributes and how to describe them.
- Editing and the rough first draft. A fun ‘spot the difference’ look at the first three drafts of a story, encouraging children to go back and look again at what they’ve written.
- Don’t know what new books are available for your class? A selection of modern children’s stories, appropriate for the age group, discussed and recommended. A great way of boosting a reading culture.
- You have to fail to succeed – a look at the ups and downs of aspiring to become an author. The importance of aiming high, being proud of not always succeeding and finding the strength to keep on trying.
These are just a selection of workshops and discussions available. I am open to talking about any writing or reading topic you think would particularly benefit your students. The sessions work best in a classroom situation, giving the children plenty of opportunity to ask questions and can be tailored to fit your timetable.
Don’t forget there are several key dates throughout the year where a visit from a writer could tie into other activities, such as World Book Day and the Summer Reading Challenge.
For schools local to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, I am available to run monthly lunchtime book clubs where the group read an agreed book and then meet to discuss what we thought. A brilliant way to encourage reading for pleasure.
Half days (2 hours, 10am-12noon or 1-3pm) £75
Whole days (10am-3pm) £150
No VAT, payable within 30 days of the event, for schools over 20 miles away there will be travel expenses.
To discuss your school’s needs and to book an event, please email me email@example.com