Ahead of my debut teen book Summer of No Regrets coming out in May 2019, I am offering a selection of school visits for Key Stage 3. These can be delivered as talks, workshops or a mixture of both, depending on your school’s requirements.
- Themes in teen fiction and how to write them: friendship, adventure, finding your place in the world and specific to my book, the motivation of regret.
- Writing from different viewpoints: how to get that voice just right. Practical tips on getting your character’s tone authentic.
- A general chat about being a writer: the ups and downs, where I get my inspiration and how I write.
- Encouraging the love of reading (with added by-product of improved writing skills)
While my focus this year is on Key Stage 3 visits, I’m still offering Key Stage 2 events:
- Show don’t tell. Don’t say he was angry, show his eyes popping and a vein twitching! Works well as an interactive drama-led session.
- How to write characters – using visual prompts to pick up key physical attributes and how to describe them.
- Editing and the rough first draft. A fun ‘spot the difference’ look at the first three drafts of a story, encouraging children to go back and look again at what they’ve written.
These are just a selection of workshops and talks I offer. I’m open to talking about any writing or reading topic you think would particularly benefit your students. The sessions work best in a classroom situation (a maximum of 30 children) which gives the students plenty of opportunity to ask questions. Timings can be tailored to fit your timetable.
‘Our school had a very successful visit from Kate Mallinder as part of our Book Week celebrations. Kate enthused the children with her talk of being a writer. She shared the joys – and challenges – of being an author and inspired them to create their own stories. I would recommend Kate as her love of books and writing was so refreshing.’
J. Muckle, Co-Deputy, St Edward’s Primary School, Donnington
Half days (2.5 hours) £75
Whole days (10am-3pm) £150
No VAT, payable within 30 days of the event, for schools over 20 miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch there will be travel expenses.
To discuss your school’s needs or to book an event, please email – firstname.lastname@example.org